also for viewing

check out my video haikus
and slideshow videos on youtube at "junahsowojayboda"


Sunday, June 9, 2013

these things called expectations * 6/9/13


I have asked the universe to slap me,
well slap me hard, hard enough to get my attention, 
every time I have an expectation that isn’t met. 
And then I pleaded with the universe 
to give me an indelible gold star every time 
I have an expectation that is met. 
And what I discovered over time, 
well slowly over time, since I seemed to be 
very distracted from what I apparently
whimsically asked for 
and the universe reluctantly provided, 
was a twofold message that became perfectly, 
well startling clear. 
The first part is that I discovered 
that I am an expectation addict. 
I thought all along that I had
a sense of myself, my true self. 
But what I have come to understand is,
that I may have had a sense of self
but that got somewhat secretly replaced 
by my expectant self. 
I would have a thought and then 
my expectant self would have an expectation 
to top or trump that thought. 
It has become an expectant-self piggyback paradise.
There is hardly a clear thought that comes 
without some expectation dimension in a reframe. 
Nothing is really here any more. 
It is always on its way to somewhere else 
for some other thing 
to happen with it or to it as me! 
I feel like a pizza delivery guy inside my head. 
Whatever the thought is/was, 
I’m taking it to some place else, pronto. 
I am living the internal rush, as an act out
hurrying along from whatever now I’m in.
I’m not really here as I am always in transit. 
The paint on the wagon of self never really dries 
and the wagon never stops moving 
and I am not driving but riding shotgun! 
Also I have become self-consciously, 
a fearful anticipation junkie 
in reaction to my initial reaction.
Enough said, if you’ve been there. 
Okay, for the second part, I have become 
an internal hoarder of gold stars. 
Yes, it was initially nice to get indelible gold stars 
on a somewhat regular basis. 
I appreciated all of it, in the beginning. 
It was like a level of positive reinforcement 
that I really liked 
which is a kind of hidden clue right there. 
I mean I genuinely liked it, to start. 
But then, as the stars begun to accumulate, 
I started to notice, the inscriptions, 
I mean the what-for expectancies 
that I was getting from the stars. 
There were lots of repeats. 
Patterns appeared, incessancy seemed to be in play. 
After enough of this, a story emerged.
A story that was my expectant me that was 
apparently directing this expectation syndrome, 
and it all, ever so slowly, has become evident. 
Not real in the world to any one else 
but evident to me by the trail of expectation crumbs 
that I witness, created, and have followed.  
More than a meal but not really very nourishing. 
At some point, I had some many many stars
that I had to come up with a system for storage. 
Sure memory was one place 
but that lead to another problem. 
Because of the repeats, 
I was then constantly reminded 
of the themes in general and also the particulars 
of these gold expectation star as incidents. 
Privately, it became personally embarrassing. 
It seemed like I was an endless car wash of neediness. 
It was like I had no true sense of myself 
that was not reinforced by others 
meeting my superficial expectations ongoing. 
It was like we each had a contract with each other 
to meet each other’s expectations 
but in my case, I secretly kept getting gold stars 
for each instance. 
The apparent dependency on others 
for this silly positive reinforcement 
became a realization and a burden. 
It reminded me of when you repeat a phrase 
over and over, so much so 
that it has no meaning any more. 
It is just senseless babble. 
But I still have to deal with the gold stars as indelible 
and thus storage and that realization. 
I am not myself any more. 
I am a custodian who works for my expectant self-24/7. 
You’d think I could get fired or quit, but no. 
Expectations are like a human currency 
that we constantly exchange. 
It is a case of bad fairy godmother wishes 
to compensate for
low self worth that have gone horrible wrong. 
First the star thing made me sick,
then the gold made me sicker, 
then the glitter made me the sickest. 
If I see another expectation, it will be too soon. 
NO, I didn’t mean that the way it sounded. 
Look, I have self worth, but I have little time now 
outside of expectancies and custodials. 
I am going to have to secretly move 
to some other source point awareness universe 
where expectations are not the norm 
or the primary means of consciousness.
Expectations, they’re everywhere. 
Have to live with them 
but certain to find a deeper self-wealth 
to not live by them . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment